Sep 9, 2009

GAB Rant: Don't Take Advantage of Me!

GAB Rant is where I'll rant and rave about minor and/or major occurrences that I experience around the office- or near the office, on a somewhat day-to-day basis! Enjoy :-)

Until today, I seriously thought that I was the only one in the office whom the person 'above' me on the totem pole pushed all of the work on.

I went to lunch with the other intern. She turns out to be silly just like me, and I think we'll become really good friends after spending so much time together at work.

Anywho, to the matter at hand. Our supervisor basically pawns all of HER work off on us. Before we can finish our current tasks, she's already signing us up for other things to do. This afternoon she told me that I'd be alphabetizing 10,000 student refund checks. Are you kidding me??? I didn't sign up for this type of work, and if I recall correctly that's her job anyway!



Seriously, she sits at her desk all day emailing her friends about her failed attempts at getting pregnant, and texting on the phone. She laughs all day long, when no one ever says anything funny. Oh, oh, oh! Then last night she did the work that I normally do in the morning when I first come in. There are two steps to this part of my job, in which she failed to do the second portion. When I asked her about it, she told me that that was my job. I'M WELL AWARE OF WHAT MY JOB ENTAILS. Therefore don't do my work if you're going to do it in its entirety and then look at me like I'm stupid! I don't have time to go back and figure out what she did and didn't do; especially since I'm doing all of her work anyway!

It really urks me when people try to take advantage of interns. We are there to learn and build on our current skills and knowledge. Not to be slaved by other workers, or talked down to. I really don't understand it. But then again, many of the people that I work with have never worked as an intern. Therefore, they have no idea what it is like to be at the bottom.

I wish they'd get a clue though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Love the GAB Life??? I'll Keep It Coming :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.