May 2, 2010

Feeling Inspired!

Today I was able to witness history, or whatever you want to call it. For the first time ever, I was present for a speech by President Barack Obama. Now for some of you, this may not be monumental if you've heard him speak publicly. But I was definitely grounded for about 20 minutes or so.

At 8:13a, I walked into the Big House or the University of Michigan graduation ceremony to watch my best friend in the entire world graduate. I must say, she chose the perfect time to graduate and the ceremony was so inspirational and moving. It was surreal.

Imagine sitting in a stadium filled with 80,000+ people, most there celebrating a treacherous yet joyous journey for their children/family/friends... others there for the love of Obama. There are helicopters flying overhead. Secret Service employees on the roof. State police at every entrance. 8,000+ graduates from every avenue of learning. This was surreal. I almost felt like I was in a movie. But it wasn't the size of the crowd, or the fact that the President was there. It was his words that moved me, his charisma and charm, his demeanor, his knowledge and understanding of a functioning society.

He spoke of civility, being open to opposing views and gaining news from resources aside from our norm. In particular, he told the graduates (I'd like to include myself since I graduate in less than 24 hours) to understand the naysayers... to put yourself in their shoes. Only then are we able to view the full picture. Knowledge is the best defense. He spoke of the political quarrels that are circling our media, and how we can not allow them to cloud our perception of how things are.

Obviously we didn't have the best seats, but it was perfect!

I've been compelled to do great things, I've always had the mindset that I can do anything. But seeing Obama, listening to him and knowing that he's a man that has been through so many obstacles and hoops to be where he is... that speaks volumes to the people. That shows us graduates, as cliche as it may be, that YES WE CAN!

Word of wisdom... You can do anything that you want to do, but you can not do everything!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Love the GAB Life??? I'll Keep It Coming :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.