Jun 30, 2010

From Mommy to Me...

Have you ever considered the morals and guidance that helped to mold you into the person you are today? I'm sure most of us don't think beyond our actions, but those very actions happen because at some point in our lives we were taught or conditioned to be/act in a certain manner. A lot of the things that I do are shaped by the things that my parents taught me, particularly my mother. In this post, I'm going to highlight for you all of the significant things that I was told by my mom along with things that I learned from her...

There is more than one way to make money... Nothing irks me more than a person that doesn't try, or dishes out an excuse for everything. Things are not going to fall into your lap, and frankly I don't want them to. I love knowing that everything that I have, I worked hard for it. No one can take that away from me. If a full-time job was not in line for me, 2 part-time jobs would have to suffice. If no one was hiring in my area, I'd use my skills and knowledge to tutor people.

Sell yourself... You have lots of things to be proud of like high school graduation, completion of your college degree, promotion at work, successfully completing a marathon, etc. It's only boasting when you're not asked... but if someone wants to hear about your accomplishments, don't be afraid to tell them.
-Respect yourself and others will follow suit... If you present yourself in an ugly fashion, don't be surprised when you get the short end of the stick. Snooty attitudes and I'm-better-than-you vibes are a sure way to lose respect in almost every situation. Take a step back, look in the mirror, and decide whether you would like yourself. It will serve you justice!

Never have too much pride... Please do not mix pride with proud. They are spelled differently for a reason. I had to learn this on my own, with a little guidance from mommy. At one point in my life, I refused to ask for help. I relied heavily on my mother to make it happen, and when she couldn't do it or I couldn't help myself I'd just go without. Although there has always been people in my life who want to help me, I failed to accept their help and go the long route. Simply because I like to earn what I get, and by taking from others even at their own will, I feel like I am selling myself short or that I'll owe them something in return. I never want to be indebted to someone else. EVER! Mommy's lesson was to never be afraid to receive, but I taught her something too...

... Nothing in life is better than giving! My mom is astonished at how much I donate to charity, how many hours I volunteer in the community, or how often I participate in outreach services or seek the opportunity to help others on my own terms. All of the work that I've done for free was self-sought. No one forced me, but I'm always felt obligated to give back.

What are some ways of life that your mother (or father) instilled in you? I'd love to know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Love the GAB Life??? I'll Keep It Coming :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.